Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday -- Mary Edwards Cannon Taylor



Here is a photo of what is left of the grave marker of Mary Taylor courtesy of Cindy, one of my Piggott cousins.

She is buried in the Salt Lake City Cemetery:

Name: Mary C. Taylor

Internment: # 16322
Internment Book: # 14776 - 20,000
Grave: 4E
Date of Death: Oct.7,1890
Date of Birth: Sept.30,1810
Place of Birth: Clauroost, N.Wales
Sex: F
Cause of Death: Old Age
Owner of lot: Charles B. Taylor
Deed No.: 1171

It really saddens me that my 3rd great-grandmother's headstone is broken. I wonder what ever happened to the rest of it. Maybe someday I can round up enough descendants who would care enough to start a fund to replace it.

There is a special place in my heart for Mary and not just because we share the same birthday. On the stone it says, "Friend of the Poor". There must be a few stories behind that and I would like to find them.



Mary had a pretty rough life. She lost her first husband Joseph White after only being married for about a year. She married my 3rd great-grandfather, George Cannon in February of 1844 and lost him in August of that same year. She was about 3 months pregnant with my 2nd great-grandmother, Elizabeth Edwards Cannon when he died.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
The Breast Cancer Site